How do you come up ...

Notifications
Clear all

Welcome to the Quad for Mobile Film Stories!

This is your space to collaborate, share insights and ask questions to other community members. You'll need to register to interact.

Please keep all topics related to the mobile film community and industry.

How do you come up with story ideas?

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Susy
 Susy
(@susy)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Stories are everywhere. They come from inside and they are around us. Is it okay to make a movie about something that happened to someone else? Can you remake a new story from an old story, like Romeo and Juliet? Can you take a true story and change it? Is there a topic that keeps circling inside your head that you feel would make a great movie? Share your thoughts because you may inspire someone.

At the center of everything we experience is a story. Stories are always evolving. The only beginning and end to a story is the one that is told or the one we perceive.

ReplyQuote
Levi Austin Morris
(@leviaustinmorris)
New Member Registered

I think story ideas come to each storyteller in very different ways.  I think each storyteller has a completely unique voice in telling their story and it takes honing your skills to perfect your unique voice and perspective as a storyteller.  

I rarely sit down hoping to think up a story to tell. I find inspiration all around me all the time. I am inspired by relationships, people, and tragedy in my own life. I think other's stories are also a great jumping off point as long as you aren't outright taking someone else's story. My short "The Tea" was heavily inspired by a relationship in Moliere's "Tartuffe" but I completely changed his story, made it queer, created completely new characters/situation and had an absolute ball in the heavily stylized filmmaking we did on that project. 

I am incredibly inspired by music. I find myself obsessing over a particular piece of music over and over until a story flows through me. 

Susy reacted
ReplyQuote
Susy
 Susy
(@susy)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

This is quite an insight into the inner workings into the mind of a storyteller who is motivated by life and experiences. I think stories stroke our emotions and that is why we connect through them. Fascinating response, @leviaustinmorris! Thank you! 

At the center of everything we experience is a story. Stories are always evolving. The only beginning and end to a story is the one that is told or the one we perceive.

ReplyQuote
Share: